Principal Research Associate - Center for Transportation & Logistics, MIT
Dr. Edgar Blanco is a Research Director at the MIT Center for Transportation & Logistics and is the Executive Director of the MIT SCALE Network in Latin America. He has over sixteen years of experience in designing and improving logistics and supply chain systems.
Dr. Blanco is widely recognized as an expert on carbon footprint assessments of global supply chains and models of environmental impacts of freight transportation and logistics activities. His work on carbon-efficient supply chain balances theoretical and applied work, which has allowed him to establish strong working relationships within academia, as well as with industry practitioners, governments and NGOs. Dr. Blanco co-led the Leaders in Environmental Assessment and Performance (LEAP) research group at MIT.
Dr. Blanco is also the founder and director of the MIT Megacity Logistics Lab, a pioneering initiative in the field of urban logistics. His approach of integrating consumer and retail behavior in emerging markets, urban morphology, mobile phone technologies, visualization and logistics analytics, has opened a new area of research currently being applied in Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Prior to joining MIT, Dr. Blanco was leading the Inventory Optimization practice at Retek (now Oracle Retail). He received his Ph.D. from the School of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. His educational background includes a B.S. and M.S. in Industrial Engineering from Universidad de los Andes (Bogotá, Colombia) and a M.S. in Operations Research from the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Craig, A., Blanco E.E. and Sheffi Y., “Estimating the CO2 Intensity of Intermodal Transportation,” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Vol. 22, July 2013, pp. 49-53.
- Montoya-Torres, J.R., Gutierrez-Franco, E., and Blanco E., “Conceptual Framework for Measuring Carbon Footprint in Supply Chains,” Production Planning & Control. Accepted March 2014.
- Barros A.C., Barbosa-Povoa A.P., Blanco E.E., “Selection of Tailored Practices for Supply Chain Management,” International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 33 No. 8, 2013, pp.1040-1074.
- Blanco, E.E., “Urban Freight and Port Cities,” World Bank Concept Note, May 2014.
- Blanco, E.E. and Fransoo, J.C. “Reaching 50 million nanostores: retail distribution in emerging megacities”. Working Paper WP-404 BETA Research School, Eindhoven University of Technology, 22 January 2013.
E.E.Blanco_Better logistics for cities. Better cities for logistics